Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 18th

I can’t really remember what I wrote about last- the internet is down again so I can’t see my last blog.

A couple of days ago we discharged Clementine- she is the little girl that had Hirshbrung’s disease, super malnourished, complicated surgeries. It was really neat to see her looking so good compared to my first day in the hospital when she looked so fragile and we were all really worried about her.  She has a colostomy now and in a couple of years when she is much bigger and stronger she will get a final surgery.  That’s the plan anyways, hopefully it’s God’s too!! She is supposed to come to the clinic for a follow up on Friday; hope I get to see her. It has been a wonderful experience to be so close to the family and watch them grow stronger in the Lord despite all their hardships.

Last night we lost a little boy that was pretty special to me.  He has been in the hospital for almost two weeks. It’s been a roller coaster with him, and we never really figured out what exactly was wrong.  He had 3 good days in a row and they discharged him to Infection (it’s not really infection, it’s part of the hospital where the patients can stay for free but still get checked by a doctor and get dressing changes, etc.). His first night there he passed away.  Even though it is still really hard to accept, I am pretty positive he went to be with God.  I got to pray with him, sing praises with him, and even got a few smiles out of him in the last couple of days. I just feel so sad for the family.

A new pediatric doctor came, and two new surgeons.  It is good for me to see the hospital and everything from their ‘new’ eyes.  It took me a solid two weeks to adjust to things here, and I’m just a newly graduated nurse- I can only imagine how much more difficult it must be for highly skilled doctors who come from really good hospitals.  We have had several hard cases since the new peds doctor, Dr. Ken, has come. It’s really hard for everyone involved to send a patient home to die, and to get new admits that are too far for our medicine to fix.  The pediatric ward could use some prayers this week please. But we are sending lots of healthy, happy kids home too J

No comments:

Post a Comment